Thursday, July 25, 2013

Work and Lolita

When it comes to what to wear for work I'm kinda lucky that my job doesn't really have a set dress code (well they do but the guys around here don't really care XD). If I really wanted I could probably get away with wearing Lolita (maybe not sweet), but I wouldn't do it because attached to our office is the machine shop; so our desks and concrete floors are constantly covered in dust, dirt and tiny metal particles. Otherwise I would love to get all dressed up everyday to head to work ^^
 
I work in the oilfield industry and have so for the past 6 years, and pretty much every year working in the industry I have attended one of the biggest oil conventions held here in Houston called OTC. Every time it comes around I stress about what to wear, end up in a skirt and heels and walk around uncomfortable the whole day. This year (my first year of Lolita) when thinking about what I would feel most comfortable in all day; I had to keep in mind all the walking I would endure and also all the stares. The oil industry has always been a man's world. Yes, there are a lot more women in the industry but when it comes to events like this they are few and a lot of times they are put to work a booth to garner up business (ie. eye candy). I always feel uncomfortable being stared at when I know the person in question is looking at me with lusty eyes and I was not looking forward to that ><
 
After much thought (and consulting my co-worker who I was attending with) I came to the conclusion that Lolita really was what I most wanted to wear. My shoes are comfortable with their insoles, my dress not revealing and the most important it made me feel like myself. So I decided to do just that.
My Co-worker (Kari) and I with two of the guys working a booth. We loved their pants and had to get a pic
I must say I really was happy with my decision. I did get stares but I didn't notice them because I felt comfortable in my own skin; and if they were staring they were staring at my clothes and not in a lusty kind of way. Kari even made a comment at one point saying "man, everyone is staring at you, even after you pass them by they turn around" and I just shrugged and said I wasn't really paying attention.
Pink High Pressure Hydraulic Gate Valve, so Kawaii (for Breast Cancer awareness)
This year was one of my favorite OTCs. I had an awesome time, everyone who complimented me was really nice about it and I even had the courage to go to all the vendor booths that I did business with even if I wasn't sure who my salesperson was (unlike prior events; I'd say I know the co. but couldn't remember the person and just pass it by). It was a great experience for myself and I would do it again in a heartbeat. While I'm not sure all styles of Lolita would be a good choice, I was happy with my dark but school like outfit and think it wasn't too eye catching to get a lot of bad attention (which is always something to consider when choosing an outfit)

So happy they allowed me to take this picture on the portable land rig (sorry about my peeking bloomers XD)

Have you ever worn Lolita to work or a work event? What was your experience? I'd love to hear about it ^^
And I'll leave you with that...


 "Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks."

No comments:

Post a Comment